The US Federal Government, its agencies, departments and contractors face an ever-growing number of regulations and standards. This environment creates a growing need for comprehensive federal risk management solutions for continuous monitoring to provide compliance reporting as well as secure data and mitigate threats in cyber security.
IT and operational managers in the public sector continue to deal with the challenges of integrating silos of vulnerability management for IT assets, cyber security, periodic assessments of risk related to information systems, implementation of security controls commensurate with risk and the deployment and execution of system security plans.
The Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) requires agencies to protect the integrity of key information among internal systems, contractors, and organizations whose information systems possess or make use of federal government agency information.
Federal Risk Management and Continuous Monitoring Challenges include:
- Measuring and managing risk consistently across multiple agencies and departments
- Functional divisions including IT Risk , Compliance, Audit, IT Security, and IT Operations operating in silos
- Spreadsheet- based and email-based assessment processes to address the volume of information with the size of IT installations in most departments and agencies required compliance with a multitude of regulations, mandating frequent surveys and costly manual assessments
- Continuous monitoring requires the storage and tracking of asset information over time
How Modulo Risk Manager can provide federal risk management solutions to public sector entities:
- Maps frameworks and generates technical and management reports to help implement security requirements
- Plans for security and ensures the appropriate officials are assigned relevant security responsibilities
- Provides detailed recommendations on how to address detected risks or gaps within the scope defined by each department or agency
- Reviews security controls across relevant information systems
- Collects and centralizes data related to technology assets (software and equipment) and non-technology assets (people, processes and environment)
- Automates compliance processes, facilitating monitoring and report generation
- Enables customization of typical controls and controls specific to each agency’s IT infrastructure
- Provides an extensive knowledge base facilitating team education and training
- Supports vendor risk assessment
- Provides a security and evidence repository
- Facilitates implementation of certification requirements for PCI, ISO 27001, HIPAA, COBIT, FISAP, FISMA - NIST 800-53a, BS 2599, A 130 and DOD 8500.2
- Supports the creation of business continuity plans, facilitating maintenance and rapid recovery of information and procedures in compliance with BS 25999
- Generates technical and executive reports
- Provides dashboards for continuous IT GRC monitoring